I have some thoughts to share with you this evening. I make no promise that they will enrich your life in any way. With that disclaimer out of the way, please proceed.
1. As I lay in bed the other night, reading, I saw a creature flying around up near the ceiling. While its size appeared similar to that of a Canada Goose, its disposition seemed much more menacing. It turned out to be a moth. (I did not have my contact lenses in at the time.) Now, as the days go by and I have to go to sleep each night not knowing where it might be and how evil its intentions are, I live with the dark threat of its presence. I know that this situation may not end well for at least one of us. I fear it may be me.
2. I ventured away from my usual grocery store today and shopped elsewhere. I was there at a busy time and the store is very big. I got a sense that shopping there is a bit of a competitive sport. Scraps of various fruits and vegetables littered the floor and it looked look quite a battle had been raging for a while. Strangely, I liked it. It was nice to feel some energy in the food shopping experience and I will return to that store. After purchasing expired juice, moldy cheese and being charged way too much for a watermelon at my normal store, I'm ready for a change. I'll try not to trip on the scattered produce and think things should go quite well.
3. I remain astonished that Chunky Monkey ice cream is banana-flavoured. I would never have guessed at the connection between monkeys and bananas that led to this name and thank my friend Patty for kindly pointing this out to me. Who, other than Patty, knew? As it turns out, I don't care for banana-flavoured ice cream and would only like it less if it really lived up to its name and contained pieces of monkey (or any meat really). Some items should never be brought together. In my opinion, chicken and pizza also fall into this category.
4. This morning (Saturday) at about 7:30, people starting using chainsaws at a house across the street. Whatever they were doing was over with quickly. As this was my first day off since I left my Saturday job, I was somewhat disappointed by this morning ruckus. It is legal to do this that early on a Saturday morning but it seems mean. Perhaps what's most concerning about all of this is that no trees appear to have been altered or removed at that house. I'm not sure I want to know for what purpose the chainsaws were used.
5. I have reason to believe that people are sneaking into my house and stealing selected items of clothing. I have many reasons to wonder why anyone would do that. Moments ago, as I was putting clothes into the washing machine, I remembered a top that I hadn't seen for a while. There is another top I had already declared to be lost. These are not valuable items but I bought them because I wanted to wear them and that's difficult now. Perhaps I will have to institute better inventory control methods. It's sad when it comes to this inside one's home.
6. After accepting and enjoying medium roast coffee at Starbucks a few times when the dark roast was not ready, I began to wonder if perhaps medium roast was my preference after all. I ordered it the other day and it's true. How could I not have known for so long? Are there other choices in my life that I should question? There are a variety of tomato colours out there - have I been wrong to stick to red all these years? What about eggs? And maybe I could have loved lop ear rabbits after all - I've stuck to ones whose ears are well-supported. Apparently there are many things that need reconsideration now.
7. Aside from the fact that I have long loved rabbits and I keep them as pets, I consider it an honour that a young jackrabbit (whom we've named Alonzo) feels comfortable spending a lot of his time outside our house. While occasionally he gets alarmed and will scamper away when we are near, often he continues lying down as we come and go and talk to him. He seems to know he's pretty safe here and last week even stayed still as three men in a furnace cleaning truck arrived out front. I see neighbours of mine chase rabbits away - I value the comfort of a wild animal so much more highly than a perfect lawn. I am glad Alonzo has us.
Those are my thoughts for this evening. I sense that I will have a lot more to say in the coming days so, you know, you have been warned.
Happy Sunday night!